If you have a dog, you’re familiar with the universal truth that dogs love to eat. Their enthusiasm for all that’s yummy in the world is unmatched, and it’s one of the really fun parts of having a dog. However, as a responsible dog owner it’s your job to ensure that your pup is getting the right diet they need in order to keep them healthy, happy, and active. This can get complicated–there are so many dog foods available, dogs love treats, and it’s easy to slip your pet some human food every now and then. With all that going on, how can we best ensure that our dog is getting the nutrition that they need? Fortunately, there are some basic steps we can take to make life better for both ourselves and our pets. Towards that end, here are five tips for improving your dog’s diet.
- Read the labels! Ignore the marketing spin, don’t be fooled by colorful logos, and eschew brand loyalty. The best way to ensure that you’re buying the right dog food for your pooch is to read the labels and take stock of the ingredients and the nutritional data found in your dog food of choice. You may be surprised by what you find–many dog foods contain the minimum of “real” ingredients and the maximum of filler. By reading the labels and comparing them, you’ll be in a better position to make the right purchase for you and your dog.
- Do your research both online and by talking to your vet. Your veterinarian is a trained professional who knows you and your pet and can recommend the right foods and feeding practices to meet your pet’s needs. Take their recommendations and use them as the basis for researching your dog’s food and treats and making choices that best fit your needs.
- Measure your dog’s food. It’s so simple and so easy, but it makes a huge difference. By measuring out the proper quantity of dog food at each feeding time, you’ll ensure that your dog gets proper nutrition and calories without going to excess. How much food should you measure out? Most dog food brands will have serving recommendations on the label, so check their first. Use a measuring cup of some kind–don’t eyeball it–in order to ensure consistency every time you feed your dog.
- Follow the 10% rule for treats and snacks. As a general rule of thumb, no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake should come from treats, snacks, or other goodies. This includes chews and supplements. In combination with appropriate dog food given out in the right quantities, this ensures that your dog isn’t overeating or missing critical nutrition by overindulging in treats.
- Stick to a regular feeding schedule. Dogs are creatures of habit, and their need for routine is lifelong. By sticking to a consistent feeding schedule along with good, consistent dog food and regular exercise, you’ll ensure that your dog is healthy, happy, and following a good routine for its well-being.
By following a few basic tips and talking to your vet regularly, you’ll help your pet live life to its fullest. In order to make life even better for you and your dog, you should ensure that their coat is clean and neat. That’s where K9000 comes in. Our self-service dog washing stations take the time and trouble out of keeping your beloved pet clean, ensuring a better quality of life for both of you. If you’re interested in K900, get in touch today to learn what we can offer and how you can get involved!